Fire safety should be among your New Year’s resolutions
It’s that time where many begin to think about what they might want to accomplish in the New Year. At this time of year popular resolutions include giving-up smoking, losing weight and getting more organised…
Considering that more than 75 percent of all fire deaths in the India happen in homes, Fire Safe India Foundation would like to urge everyone to include some safety resolutions to keep their 2019 a healthy and fire-safe year.
Follow these tips to ring in fire safety this New Year:
- Make sure your home is protected by working smoke alarms. Half of all home fire deaths happen at night, when people are sleeping.
- Test your smoke alarms once a month, and replace your smoke alarms when they’re 10 years old.
- Cooking is the main cause of home fires and home fire injuries. Make safety your first ingredient; stay in the kitchen when you are cooking at high temperatures. Fires start when the heat gets too high. If you see any smoke or grease starts to boil, turn the burner off. Check your Gas connections regularly for any leakage.
- Diyas/ Candles with care. Unattended candles/ diyas are an obvious fire danger. When you leave a room, blow out the candle/diya .
- If you have children living in your home or visiting ,look for fire and burn dangers from their point of view. Never leave lighters or matches where children can reach them; instill in children never to hide when there is a fire.
- Do not overload electrical outlets.
FIRE PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN FIRE FIGHTING